About Meritus Health
Meritus Health, Western Maryland’s largest health care provider, is located at the crossroads of Western Maryland, Southern Pennsylvania and the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. With nearly 3,000 employees, 500 medical staff members and 250 volunteers, Meritus Health serves over 200,000 residents of the tristate region.
Meritus Medical Center, the flagship facility of the health system, has more than 327 beds and is a Joint Commission accredited hospital. Meritus Medical Center has officially become a teaching hospital, serving as a clinical training site for the Meritus Family Medicine Residency Program, as well as for more than 1,000 nursing and allied health students annually.
Meritus Health also includes Meritus Medical Group, a network of 20 medical practices with more than 100 providers; Meritus Home Health; and Meritus Equipped for Life, a medical equipment company. Meritus Health is a 25% owner of Maryland Physicians Care, a 215,000 Medicaid member health plan. With a long-standing history of caring for the community, Meritus Health relentlessly pursues excellence to improve the health status of the region.
2030 Bold Goals:
The Meritus Health strategic plan has Bold Goals to be achieved by the year 2030 to support our Mission, Vision and Values.
Mission: Improve the health of our community.
Vision: To be the best health system.
Values: At Meritus, we support our mission and vision by living our values each and every day. By following our pledge, "I ACT", we each support Meritus with:
- I = Integrity - We do the right thing, no matter what!
- A = All in for quality and outcomes - Quality improvement isn't just something we talk about, it's a commitment we each live.
- C = Community obsessed - We are our community, and we are here to take care of our neighbors. This isn't just about medical care; it's about caring for the whole person.
- T = Teamwork - Nobody can do it alone! At Meritus we are one team that is diverse and inclusive, and we support another and our goals.
Utilizing the quadruple aim framework, the 2030 Bold Goals were created to:
- Improve the health in our community: Lose 1 million community pounds.
- Improve health care: Zero Harm Events at Meritus locations.
- Having joy at work: Nationally recognized employer of choice
- Medical care that is affordable for our community: Lowest total cost of care provider in the state of Maryland
- Provide world class medical education: Develop a world class medical school.
Meritus Health's Performance Excellence Journey
To live our mission of improving the health of the community, Meritus Health continues to prioritize performance excellence - ensuring our teams are exceeding standards and committed to continuous improvement.
Meritus Health submits an annual application to the Malcolm Baldrige performance excellence criteria, where examiners rigorously evaluate seven areas including leadership, strategy, customers, measurement, analysis and knowledge management, workforce, operations and results. The evaluation process includes more than 1,000 hours of review and a site visit by a team of examiners to clarify questions and verify information on the application.
In 2022, Meritus Health was recognized with the Partnership for Excellence Platinum Level Governor's Award for Excellence, the highest state level award.
Meritus Health remains committed to this process and will continue to update our application each year.
Our 2023 Application provides a profile of our organization and has been submitted to the examiners.