Autumn has officially arrived, and it brought along those cool, crisp temperatures we all love. But you know what else comes with this season? The start of viral illness season!
At Meritus Health, we're not here to rain on your autumnal parade, but we are here to keep you safe, healthy and in the know. Our experts follow the advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which says that everyone aged 6 months and older should have an updated flu and COVD vaccines. Those 60 and older should talk to their healthcare provider to see if RSV vaccination is right for them.
We know that no one likes shots, but here's the deal: This simple yet oh-so-significant step can be your secret weapon against the flu. It'll shrink your chances of a flu-filled fiasco, keep you far away from hospital beds.
As we dive into the cozy months of fall and winter, remember, it's all about staying in tip-top shape and having some viral fun without the viruses. Get that flu shot and keep those germs at bay.
Meritus Health Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Anand Budi shared some strategies to help you stay healthy:
· Vaccination is one of the most effective ways to protect yourself against certain viral illnesses like the flu. Ensure that you and your family members are up to date on vaccinations, including the seasonal flu vaccine.
· Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after being in public places, touching surfaces that may be contaminated, and before eating.
· Try to maintain physical distance from people who are sick, and if you are feeling unwell, consider staying home to prevent spreading illness to others.
· Always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your elbow when you cough or sneeze, and dispose of tissues properly.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, as this can introduce viruses into your body if your hands are contaminated.
Remember that while these strategies can help reduce your risk of getting sick, it's impossible to eliminate all risks entirely.
In the coming weeks, be on the lookout for information on our upcoming COVID vaccine clinics – a chance to make it super easy to keep those vaccinations current. You can also find the latest, up-to-date information on the flu season, viral illnesses, testing, treatment, and vaccination at please visit MeritusHealth.com/Viralillness.